Southwest Washington All Terrain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Southwest Washington All Terrain

SWWAT was created in 2008 by local riders who, like most adventure seekers, love the outdoors. We have a vision to create a safe and fun outdoor experience for everyone. We created this club as a group of friend's that enjoy all facets of off-roading.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Empty
PostSubject: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 2:57 am

Local ORV Rider, Jason Skelton was killed Saturday Aug. 2nd 2008, this morning in a head on collision. He was headed up to Four Corners to ride with friends when the accident occurred. He was an outdoor enthusiast who was the Vice President of Jones Creek Trail Riders. He was instrumental in much of the great work this club does.

Jason is survived by his wonderful wife Tanya and his two beautiful daughters, Elizabeth and Adrianna. SWWAT will be raising funds to help this family in their time of need. We also send our thoughts and prayers for all of his family.

Jason was a great guy who loved to ride. He had a warm smile and a great laugh. He was always up for a story or a ride. He could fix darn near anything that broke on the trail. He was able to fix numerous tires for our family. He was a hard worker, and often his hands showed it. He was a great friend to our family and a lifelong friend of Scott Hards.

Jason will be missed and remembered fondly. As we continue our rides, we will often think of Jason.

Bill, Cheri and Brandon Hutchens

Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Jason_by_bike
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 DSCF0018
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Club_Barbecue2_050507_28
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Isz-m
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Club_Barbecue_050507_10
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 DSCF0020
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 DSCF0003-1
Link to JCTRA Forum- http://jctra.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=9478#9478
Link to NWQR Forum- http://www.nwquadriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31454#31454

Here is a small view of Jason's life by Joe McLaughlin
http://www.jctra.org/gallery/d/27875-1/jason.wmv

Thank you Joe, it was very nice.
Back to top Go down
https://swwat.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 2:57 am

I have so many stories about Jason, but I think that the best moment was when we were riding together once. There was some little part of the trail that i didn't want to go through and Jason, told me that he would be glad to go through it for me. As he rode down the trail and helped me out, i was so grateful. After he got through, he told me a secret. This, he told me, could help me through anything in life. And it has.

His secret was:

"When in doubt, gas it out."

And with this one sentence, which i use everyday for almost everything, I remember him and his great life.

He will be missed, but instead of normaly thinking about him, I want everyone to use his secret sometime. It would be great to know that he would be thought about everyday.

Brandon Hutchens
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 2:58 am

From the Oregonian 8-4-08

Quote:
Battle Ground man dies in head-on crash
Posted by The Oregonian August 04, 2008 14:41PM
Categories: Breaking News
A 30-year-old Battle Ground man died this morning in a head-on crash in the Brush Prairie area of Clark County.

Clark County Sheriff's Office said the crash happened about 8 a.m. in the 25100 block of Northeast Rawson Road. Witnesses said a pickup traveling westbound crossed the center line and crashed into a sport utility vehicle. The sport utility vehicle overturned and caught fire.

James Skelton, driver of the sport utility vehicle, was pulled from the vehicle by witnesses and Vancouver resident Kenneth Pawski, driver of the pickup. Skelton was pronounced dead at the scene.

Pawski, 19, was taken to Southwest Washington Medical Center for his injuries.

The sheriff's office said alcohol may have been a contributing factor in the crash. The sheriff's office traffic homicide unit is investigating.

-- Wade Nkrumah;
wadenkrumah@news.oregonian.com

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews ... _head.html
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 3:00 am

Donations can be made starting tomorrow at any Washington Mutual.
Simply ask to donate to the benevolent fund for the
"Wife and Children of Jason Skelton"
and they'll hook you up. It is account number 3083183603. The account number is not needed to donate.
Many of us are also working on other ways the club can help out financially.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 3:00 am

There will be a viewing held at Laynes Funeral home in Battle Ground from 6:30 to 8:30 Thursday evening.

The funeral is scheduled for 11:00 AM Friday at the Living Hope Church with the burial at Evergreen Memorial Gardens.

Laynes Funeral home is located at 16 NE Clark Ave in Battle Ground (98604)

The Living Hope Chruch is located at 10702 NE 117th Ave., Vancouver, WA 98682
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thanks to everyone...Jason is my nephew, and I'm so thankful he had so may wonderful friends.
I'm always 'gonna remember him as the kid that would do anything for anyone, and have a smile at the same time.
This hurts a lot, but it helps to know that my he touched a few lives and made a difference.

Thanks for the prayers

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 3:01 am

[center]JAMES JASON SKELTON

Jan. 17, 1978 ~ Aug. 2, 2008- James Jason Skelton of Vancouver, WA, died Saturday, Aug. 2, 2008 in a head on collision. Jason was born Jan. 17, 1978 in Vancouver. He lived his entire 30 years in Clark County. James was employed by Prairie Electric at time of his death. He enjoyed quad/motorcycle riding, camping, hunting, fishing and hanging out with his family and numerous friends. He was heavily involved with the ATV club Jones Creek Trail Riders Association. James was survived by wife, Tanya of ten years; daughters, Elizabeth (9) and Adrianna (9 months); his parents, James Gary and Marie Ann Skelton; four brothers, Brian, Steve, Jeff, and Adam. A memorial service will be held on Fri., Aug. 8, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. Living Hope Church, 10702 Ne 117th Ave., Vancouver WA 98682.
Published in the Columbian on 08/07/2008[/center
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 3:02 am

Good Samaritans' heroics comforting to family
Friday, August 08, 2008
By Laura McVicker, Columbian Staff Writer

Beyond the glow of flames, Dan Szmania could make out a face inside the overturned Jeep.

The man’s brown eyes appeared lifeless; his body crumpled. Fire danced from the top of the vehicle downward.

Szmania’s adrenaline kicked in. “We can’t let him burn!” he shouted.

Another bystander had already attempted to free the man from the vehicle without success. So Szmania crawled halfway inside the fiery vehicle and tugged at the victim’s shoulders. He didn’t budge.

That’s when Szmania and two other bystanders grabbed a tow chain from a vehicle, placed it around the man’s wrist and yanked with all their strength: five or six times, and, finally, the man came free. But it was too late.

James Jason Skelton had died instantly in a head-on collision.

The accident occurred about 8 a.m. last Saturday near Brush Prairie. The driver of another vehicle apparently lost control and crossed the center line of Rawson Road, striking the 30-year-old Battle Ground man’s Jeep Wrangler. An investigation is continuing.

While passing drivers and neighbors couldn’t save Skelton’s life, their efforts did bring assurance and peace to the grieving family. Not only can his family give his body a respectful burial, but Skelton’s wife, Tanya, said they have the knowledge there wasn’t more anyone could have done.

These strangers’ kindness didn’t go unnoticed, she said.

“Not everybody would have done that,” Tanya Skelton said. “Knowing that there’s people out there to help and knowing that he didn’t burn in that fire … it was better for me knowing he was out.”

Several people helped. In addition to those who pulled Skelton from the wreckage, some of the strangers performed traffic control. Others called 911.

A couple of them were burned, including Szmania. He spent the latter part of the day in the emergency room being treated for burns on his face and hands.

Firefighters called the bystanders’ acts heroic, but also warned of the inherent dangers when citizens become the first responders.

“I wouldn’t encourage anyone to put themselves in harm’s way,” said Clark County Fire District 3 battalion chief Dave O’Brien. “Part of it is human nature, too. People are going to help if they can.”

That’s how Szmania and several others crossed paths.

Jeep on fire, skid marks

At about 8 a.m. Saturday, Sterling Hersey, who lives a mile from the wreck scene, was driving on Rawson Road.

“I saw two cars, smoke and a fire (in one of the cars), and thought, ‘Oh, no,’ ” Hersey said. “It just kicked in: ‘Hey, I need to do something.’ ”

So he stopped and recognized one of his neighbors was already on scene. The neighbor yelled for him to call 911.

Hersey placed a 911 call, but the flames were growing. He decided to drive to a nearby Clark County Fire District 3 station to retrieve a fire extinguisher. There he found a volunteer firefighter already heading to the crash. Hersey followed the fire engine in his car.

Meanwhile, Szmania was driving by in his car and stopped. He spotted another man next to the fiery Jeep, reaching inside.

As the flames reached 30 feet in the air, Szmania felt compelled to crawl inside the Jeep as well.

He said he thought about the victim’s family — would they want their son to die in a fire?

“Seeing him go in there gave me the courage to go in,” Szmania said.

Szmania and the other man couldn’t free Skelton. That’s when the two of them and the bystander’s grandson grabbed the tow chain from one of their vehicles. After several attempts, they extricated Skelton.

At the same time, the first fire engine drove up — with the volunteer firefighter inside.

That firefighter instantly began treating Skelton. Szmania grabbed a fire hose from the engine to quell the flames. All of a sudden, an explosion blasted Szmania off the street and into foliage. A gas can in the back of the Jeep had exploded.

Seconds later, he opened his eyes and felt a searing pain on his face and hands. His whole body was smoking. The other bystander grabbed the hose and began battling the blaze. Other firefighters arrived and took over, extinguishing it quickly.

As more paramedics, firefighters and sheriff’s deputies arrived, Szmania was whisked away to Southwest Washington Medical Center to be treated for his burns. He hardly had a chance to speak with the other bystanders or even introduce himself.

He knew the victim was already dead, but knew little more. He would later find out Skelton had two daughters, a 9-year-old and 9-month-old, and a wife.

But Szmania hopes someday he can meet the other Samaritans to say thank you and tell them that their efforts inspired him to be his best.

There needs to be more people in the world like them, Szmania said.

“They were my heroes.”

Laura McVicker can be reached at 360-735-4516 or laura.mcvicker@columbian.com.

http://www.columbian.com/video/08072008/08072008032439106.mov

Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 NewsPic350284_Head
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 3:03 am

All the posts above have been moved from another spot. Sorry if I didn't get the post persons.
Back to top Go down
Jeremy1052
Vice President
Jeremy1052

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 4:10 am

Lets not forget about Tanya and the girls. It's easier for us to move on as the shock of such a huge loss slowly wears off. But for Tanya, and the girls they are faced with daily reminders every moment. They need our prayers, and help to cope with this tragedy.
Back to top Go down
trueblue

trueblue

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2008, 4:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Jason was always willing to ride with anyone and had a helping hand out when needed. He will be missed by me and his daughters.
Back to top Go down
bchutchens

bchutchens

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2008, 8:06 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the wrecked trucks
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Jeep_006
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Jeep_007
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Jeep_003-1
Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Jeep_010-1
Back to top Go down
http://www.SWWAT.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08   Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Friend and Fellow ORV Rider Killed-Jason Skelton 8-2-08
Page 1 of 1